Monday Mischief: Cats in furniture

by Katherine on March 4, 2013

I’ve recently started a new job, and with it, I get to work from home in my Atlanta home with my cats and dog all day. (Happy dance around the room!)

I did forget one minor detail, however, in the newly homebound arrangement: The programmable thermostat. I realized it was freezing about halfway through my morning research, and then remembered that the thermostat was programmed to get colder while I was usually gone during the day. I altered the settings, then went to grab a blanket to wrap up in until the heat could do it’s job.

Upon opening the linen closet, this is what I found:

black cat in cabinet

That cheshire smile and “who? me?” face is Briseis’s go-to get-out-of-jail free card.

Thanks to a slightly loose door, Briseis has found a way to sneak into the poshest and warmest snooze spot in the house: Right on top of all of my out-of-season throw pillows (don’t judge my inner Martha) and throws. I have to give her credit for the genius, though I can’t say I completely pleased with all of the freshly washed linens getting a coating of cat hair before they’ve even been put out. Oh well–lint rollers, ahoy!

What kind of Monday Mischief are your pets up to? Join the blog hop and tell us all about it.
Snoopy's Dog Blog

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Coralee and Finn March 4, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Definitely a plush spot! Our Toby is pro at scoping out the best snoozing spots around here!

Katherine Katherine March 5, 2013 at 8:31 am

Toby’s got the right idea. Arie’s pretty good at just popping herself in her crate, though sometimes I find her on my bed. The cats, however, are snuggle monsters. They’re after the warmest spot in the house, whether it’s on top of a vent, the linens, or you.

Rebecca March 4, 2013 at 4:30 pm

It so happens that my cat Sassy sleeps on an old feather pillow in her spot in the garage. She also has some of my mother’s old towels to keep her warm.

Katherine Katherine March 5, 2013 at 8:32 am

Glad to hear that she has a few things out there to keep her warm! My parent’s cat is indoor/outdoor, and often prefers to sleep on an old blanket in a shelf in the garage. They get to be nature-kitty without actually having to brave all of the great outdoors. Thanks for stopping by, Rebecca!

Rebecca March 4, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Your white Shepherd would look awesome, next to my black shepherd.

Katherine Katherine March 5, 2013 at 8:33 am

They would make quite the photo! I love black Shepherds as well; well, to be honest, all Shepherds, but I’ve always found the solid white or black particularly stunning.

2 brown dawgs March 4, 2013 at 7:31 pm

I guess you will now see what your pets have been up to while you have been at work all day. I have a black kitty too and she loves to sleep under blankets. :)

Katherine Katherine March 5, 2013 at 8:34 am

It’s always nice to meet another “basement cat” person! Black cats need lovin’ too. :)

Jessica@YouDidWhatWithYourWeiner March 4, 2013 at 10:34 pm

I know what you mean: I recently started working from home and it took us a while to figure out the programmable thermostat so I didn’t have to wear a hat in the house during the day. Chester and Gretel never cared though because they just snuggled further under the blankets on the couch :)

Katherine Katherine March 5, 2013 at 8:35 am

Exactly! I love that the thing helps me save energy, but it seems no matter what I do there’s at least one time span or setting I’ve forgotten to change, and at some point in my day I’m shivering. The animals here aren’t phased either; Arie doesn’t seem to care and the cats, as pictured, have been quite resourceful.

Wyatt March 5, 2013 at 8:55 am

Smart kitty :D
Who knows what mischief the Airedales get into while we are gone. It hurts my head to think about it..ha

Wyatt and Stanzie’s mom

Katherine Katherine March 6, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I still leave for “lunch” each day, when I go to a friend’s home to walk Fritz (the subject of my Valentine’s Day post). I have no idea what happens in the few hours I’m gone, and like you…I don’t like to think about it. :)

Marie April 9, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I love ur blog it’s so awesome

Ps this is the person of the scramble with friends marie876