The Rules to Having a Dog

by Katherine on March 7, 2013

Have you liked Life with Arie on Facebook yet? If not, you should, and if you have, you may have noticed our new rule series.

Lately I’ve had several conversations with friends about the “rules” to having a dog. One is about to start pet sitting a dog, and is nervous about caring for a dog she doesn’t know quite know the habits and needs of yet. Others are contemplating getting a puppy for the first time, and still others are wondering how to mingle their new dog with their beloved cat.

Over the past few weeks of having these conversations, I’ve also been re-watching the series¬†How I Met Your Mother. If you watch it, then you’ll know all about the “Bro Code,” or a book of rules and statutes between “bros” that one character, Barney, is determined to enforce. This got me thinking…What are the rules, or codes, to having a pet? Start watching our Facebook posts (you’ll want to subscribe to be sure you get them) and tweets to find out!

These rules aren’t your basics of “feed your dog” and “training is important;” take a look at the two we’ve posted so far to get an idea of what I mean:

Life with Arie discusses rules to having a dog on facebook

Our second rule to having a dog, posted today!

Life-with-arie-rule-384

Our first rule, kicking off the series, was posted just earlier this week.

Let’s be honest–One woman cannot write a comprehensive rule list for having pets. I want to hear YOUR rules to having a dog (or cat or guinea pig or iguana, you name it)! Post your rule in the comments section, on our Facebook page, or tweet it with an @masdemoore mention and the hashtag #LWArules. Hint hint…hint hint…there may be a little something special for one of the rule writers later on this month!

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Kristine March 7, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Hahaha! Love it, what a fun idea!

Rule #68 to having a dog: There is no such thing as total privacy. Anywhere. Anytime.

Katherine Katherine March 7, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Kristine, you are totally right, especially if your home has lever handles. Arie learned to open those a while ago: http://lifewitharie.com/2012/04/09/habit-forming-behavior-the-curse-and-blessing-of-an-intelligent-dog/

Since then, we’ve moved into a home that has round door handles. Problem solved…for now. ;)

Jodi March 7, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I’ll have to check out this facebook page and see what I can come up with.

Katherine Katherine March 7, 2013 at 3:23 pm

I look forward to your ideas, Jodi!

houndstooth March 7, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Rule #52 Alarm clocks are superfluous. You WILL wake up at turn out time every day — even on Saturday and after a power outage.

Katherine Katherine March 8, 2013 at 11:09 am

YES. My cats are always there for me during power outages. :)

Maggie March 8, 2013 at 10:17 am

Rule #37- If you are in a hurry, your dog WILL lie directly in the middle of your path, i.e. in front of the closet door when you are trying to get ready in the morning.

Rule #42- Your dog will NEVER believe you when you tell him it is raining outside and he doesn’t have to pee nearly as badly as he thinks he does!

Katherine Katherine March 8, 2013 at 11:09 am

Arie hates rain, so she looks outside and is like “meh. I’m good.” and walks back to her crate. Diva.