The 7 Sides of a Sleepy White German Shepherd

by Katherine on March 11, 2013

This morning, I woke up at 5:30 AM and could not get back to sleep. After a few minutes of tossing and turning, I finally gave up and surrendered myself to the mercy of the Macbook and the coffee pot and positioned myself near the window so as to enjoy the pending Atlanta sunrise.

As I typed away, jotting down ideas for work, Life with Arie, and beyond, I became aware of a low, rhythmic sound coming from the living room. Steadily, the noise got louder, and louder, until it was clearly identifiable: Arie, my White German Shepherd, was snoring.

I peeked into the living room, because Arie only snores when she sleeps on her back; so much cute cannot be missed. As she usually does anytime I try to sneak up on her, she cracked one eye open, surveyed me and the rest of the scene, then grumbled, rolled back over, and went back to her beauty sleep. I thought about grabbing a photo of her resting, then started to think about the numerous photos I have of this dog at rest, bring us to the “seven sides of a sleepy White German Shepherd”:

1: The Sofa Stretch

white german shepherd asleep on couch

I’m sorry, did you want to share this sofa?

2. The Sunbathing Beauty

white german shepherd asleep on chaise

This particular part of the sofa in our last apartment got the sun rays from the patio door and the window. Arie and the cats fought for access to this prime snooze location.

3. The (ahem) Southern Exposure

dog sleeping upside down

This is also her snoring position.

4. The “Don’t look at me, I need my beauty rest”.

white german shepherd sleeping

The dog version of the eye mask.

5. The Vigilante

dog sleeping in window

I’m the protector…I’m watching everything! z… zz… zzzzzzz..

6. The Snuggler

dog cuddling with toy

She’s a cuddler, not a fighter.

7. The Sprawler

dog stretched out sleeping

(Please ignore the mess; it was recycling day) Those long legs are hard to not trip over when she sprawls out in the middle of everything.

Does your dog have a few funny sleep positions? Share a photo on our Facebook page or tell us about them in the comments section.

{ 17 comments… read them below or add one }

SlimDoggy March 11, 2013 at 7:03 am

So funny, I’ve been meaning to create a post or FB album on our dog Tino. He used to sleep anywhere, anytime. He loved spending his days outside and I would find him in the most unusual spots in our yard, under bushes, under the deck and sometimes just right out in the middle of the yard!

Coralee and Finn March 11, 2013 at 7:30 am

Too cute! Great analysis of canine sleeping habits!

Jodi March 11, 2013 at 9:48 am

LOL Sampson sleeps in all those positions, Delilah not so much. She usually curls up in a ball or snuggles with her head on my lap.

Cute pics!

Jen March 11, 2013 at 10:56 am

Aw, Arie! Fantastic picture!

Elka is typically in a tight little ball, on a couch.

Kristine March 11, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Heh, cute. She looks so comfortable, despite the odd positions. Dogs really know how to relax. :-)

Flea March 11, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Aw, what a sweet pup. She’s a pretty girl. My babies sleep in the fetal position or all stretched out. There’s not much in between. And always under my propped feet, so I’ll step on them when I get up.

Rebecca March 14, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Looks very much like my dog, sleeping everywhere all day every day.

Bear's P4ws April 5, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Hello! Just stopping by to let you know I have nominated your blog for a Liebster award. Please visit http://bearsp4ws.blogspot.ca/2013/04/weve-been-nominated.html for all the information!

that dog dancing guy April 17, 2013 at 1:54 am

She’s got the whole thing down pat! :D

Katherine Katherine May 23, 2013 at 8:03 am

I’m sure Cynder does as well! They’re good snoozers (when they’re not bouncing around with energy!)

eric May 22, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Several of these photos remind me of my female white german shepherd. If we had a white shepherd meet-up and a dozen dogs where there, would we recognize our dogs? Hmmmm…

Katherine Katherine May 23, 2013 at 8:40 am

Haha, I’ve wondered that myself sometimes. Luckily, the few times I’ve been around other White German Shepherds, there have been small differentiating features that have helped to tell even the most similarly looking dogs apart. I guess it’s like identical twins…Moms always know!

Laurie G May 28, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Haha, I bet she didn’t want you to print that ‘southern exposure’ picture! That combined with snoring would be just too funny!

Katherine Katherine June 3, 2013 at 10:49 am

She wasn’t too thrilled with her exposé, but I’m sure she’ll get over it. :)

missreverie June 24, 2013 at 3:06 pm

This really made me smile! Thank you for sharing the oh-so-adorable poses your doggy does come snooze time. I have cats so I might just blog about their quirky poses too. Southern exposure pose sure did crack me up. :)

Jen July 1, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Just 7 more adorable sides of Arie! :D

Serena July 18, 2013 at 5:55 am

I love the “I need my beauty rest” pose! My Sassy does the same pose but not on her side, only when lying on her tummy with a paw over her nose. It is so cute with a paw right over the eyes! She truly wants that sleep. Must have been a late night!